Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Of Mice and Men

Now for the most harrowing part of the entire JET application process (what, you thought you were done?): the interview. Now that JET has assessed how you look on paper, they want to see you in person (assuming that you passed the initial screening). Here are some things to keep in mind as you prepare.

The Interview:

• You will need a suit. No ifs ands or buts. If you don't show the interviewers you are dead serious about the JET Program, they will notice immediately. There are even instances where some interviewers were highly offended (or acted offended) and demanded to know if the interviewee was serious about the JET Program and why they are not wearing a suit. Keep in mind that you are interviewing for a job. They don't want slobs representing Americans (or wherever your country of origin happens to be) in Japan. Because, hey, we're not all slobs.

• Shake the interviewers' hands when you enter the room for the first time and again when you leave. This gives them a great first impression. You can show them your professionalism and appreciation for their time in two simple gestures. If you make a bee-line for your chair, the first impression that you've made is that you're timid and can't be bothered to be friendly to the people about to spend the next twenty to thirty minutes with you. Don't be a jerk.

• Brush up on your Japanese current events. I was not asked any questions about Japan, but knowing, for example, who the prime minister and emperor are, can display your interest in Japan to the panel. And plenty of consulates will ask you simple trivia about Japan. Be ready for anything.

• Again, have good reasons for why you chose you placement requests. I was asked this in my interview, and I'm very, very glad that I had answers. My placement requests were Nara, Kanazawa, and Gifu. Nara, I said, intrigued me because it was in an area where women in the Heian period took their pilgrimages, and I would like to visit those historical locations. Kanazawa for the historical architecture and museums. I said I would like to visit ninja-dera because the layout intrigued me. Gifu has a 700 year-old sword making history. When I said this, one of my interviewers laughed at me and said all of Japan has a long sword history. I laughed as well and agreed with her. If you ever have the chance to show your humility, DO SO. If you're a hothead, be a ninja turtle, not an English teacher.

• On that note, here is a very important tip: the interviewers' main goal is to test your temper. NEVER argue with an interviewer. Smile, laugh, or nod happily when appropriate. If you blow your lid, you blow your chances at being accepted. If your pride comes before your professionalism, you will not survive in Japan. (Hell, you won't even get there if you're an asshole in the interview. Thank you for weeding yourself out.) This goes triple if you're applying to be a CIR. Business etiquette is critical.

At times, your interviewer will ask you questions to trip you up. It is not uncommon for a panelist to act like a complete dick. (Luckily I didn't have any of those.) They can be very brutal, telling you that you just want to go to Japan to jerk around, etc. If you get the impression that an interviewer is going out of his or her way to make you hate them, keep your cool. They're not just an asshole; they're trying to get a rise out of you. Roll with the punches and show them that you are unfazeable! (That, for the record, is a made up word.) If you play it cool, they'll see that you won't cause trouble while on their program. This, of course, is what they want. In short: don't be a ruffian. (At least until you get to Japan, you devil, you.)

WHY JET?: This is the mother of all questions (besides maybe, do you have a criminal record?). The good thing about this question is that you can totally lie and they'll never know. But really, you should be applying for this job for the right reasons. Anyway, sorting your moral obligations is not my job. If you're a douche who wants to go to Japan through the JET Program for the wrong reasons, you are just as welcome to benefit from my tips. Just know, sir or madam, that you royally suck.

So why JET? This is a question you're going to want to think a lot about. You're not running for Miss America here. You don't have to give them a Nobel Peace Prize answer. Tell them the truth. What got you interested in JET? The most important thing to remember here is that your interviewers want to see that you'll contribute yourself fully to the schools you teach at and to the Japanese community you will be living in. For my answer, I told them straight up that what interested me in JET was its mission statement. (Interviewers are now: ?O_O? Tell us more, Aiden Vail!) As you've read in my long term plans section, I'm interested in localization in video games. I extended this into the field of creating my own educational games that would help people internationalize and learn foreign languages easier. (Okay, this isn't my number one goal in life, but it sounds really unique, right?) I told them that JET and I had the same mission statement: to promote cultural exchange and support internationalization. And I do believe this. I wasn't just sucking up-- honest! Your goal here is to relate JET to who you are as much as possible. Make yourself inseparable from JET, and they will remember you when it comes time to pick the finalists!

• This is kind of a specific issue, but I was asked if being part Japanese would hinder my experience in Japan. For example, would I feel a lot of pressure if people expected me to speak a lot of Japanese since I am part Japanese? I turned this question in my favor and said that JET is about internationalization and cultural awareness. I am 100% American and am ready to share that with the Japanese community. I said I think a large part about being a JET is breaking stereotypes: that Americans can't use chopsticks, that all of us own guns, etc. I said it would be fun to get to know real Japanese people and maybe help them form a positive image of Americans whether I'm part Japanese or not. (Question PWNED!)

• Another goal of the interviewers is to find out how homesick you're going to get. While it is completely normal to experience homesickness, JET does not want you to freak out when you get to Japan and discover you can't live without Olive Garden and Chef Boyardee. Oh, and your family, too. Be prepared to be asked how you'll handle homesickness. I told them that I'll bring pictures of friends and family, but in general, I'm a very relaxed person who loves the adventure of a new place. I said to combat homesickness, I would make Japan a home away from home-- be active in the community and participate in a lot of the afterschool functions with the students. Make sure you emphasize how much you're looking forward to the afterschool activities. It shows that you're already thinking about becoming involved and that you're enthusiastic about projecting a positive image of your home country in Japanese society.

• What clubs would you like to start at your school(s)? Would you join any pre-existing clubs?: The answer for the first one lies in what your own hobbies or interests are. If you're bringing your guitar to Japan, maybe you could start a guitar club. I said I liked to crochet, so maybe if any students were interested in making their own stuffed animals, blankets, etc., that would be really fun! As far as pre-existing clubs, YES I would love to join them! (Are you getting the enthusiasm here? Don't run out of it.) I told them that I liked to read, sing, cook, hike... and doing them with other people just made it better. I said joining a choir would be incredibly interesting because I could learn some songs in Japanese and feel more a part of the community. Even if you have no intention of ever joining an afterschool activity, let the interviewers know that you're not completely shutting out the idea of participating. Things won't go well for you if they see you're already biased and leaning toward being antisocial.

• If you're a female, they might ask you some situational questions: what if the principal is drunk and hits on you, grabs your butt, etc. I'll tell you what the answer isn't... it is not SPRAY THE MACE AND RUN LIKE HELL! Think of the most mature solution you possibly can that does not involve any kind of ostentatious confrontation. That is the right answer. Of course, JET doesn't expect you to tolerate being molested by your superiors. If you really have a problem at one of your schools, you can always call CLAIR or your BOE, and someone will help you resolve the issue or be relocated to avoid the problem all-together. If your principal is drunk though, remember that the Japanese do not hold their alcohol well and try to resolve the issue without causing a fuss.

A question you may be asked, if you have a significant other, is: how will you cope being so far away from them? My answer to this would be (I was not asked it) that my boyfriend has known since we met that my goal has always been to go to Japan. If I am accepted into the JET Program, I am confident enough in our relationship that the distance would not affect me in any negative way or prevent me from doing my duties as an ALT. Besides, I've woken up to his ugly mug for 3 years; I can do without for a little while! I'd throw that little joke in there because that's my personality, and I'm sure my panelists would have enjoyed it as well. If you're not comfortable making jokes, you're under no obligation to. I just find that it makes it easier for the interviewer to make a connection to you and therefore remember you better. For the record, my boyfriend is very cute.

• The interviewers will be looking for your level of adaptability. They do this by asking you to do an impromptu English lesson and asking you uncomfortable questions, but sometimes they will simply ask you outright: what if you're placed in Hokkaido where it is extremely cold? What if you're placed in Okinawa where you'll sweat off every pound of water weight in your body? My answer to these questions was that I've lived in both climates and found them both not only tolerable but also enjoyable. Every place is what you make of it. You determine your experiences. Let the panel know that you are up to any challenge and will make the most out of wherever CLAIR decides to place you.

• The impromptu teaching lesson: You have a real opportunity to shine here. I believe I already wrote that when they asked me to do a quick lesson, I hopped out of my chair and enthusiastically made my way to the whiteboard. Even if you're not an experienced teacher, you can get into JET. I have little to no teaching experience, but I showed the interviewers that I'm up to the challenge and will remain positive throughout. For my lesson, I decided to go with the pluperfect tense. I stumped all of the interviewers but assured them that with proper planning, I could make the concept quite easy to understand. IN FACT, I have a lot of games in mind that would nicely facilitate learning in the classroom by keeping the children interested and continually occupied. I demonstrated a game to them complete with jumping around and rushing to the whiteboard to write down an answer. Be as active as possible in your interview! Your cheeriness will rub off on them, and they'll remember you in a positive light!

• Final tip: You are in Japan as an ASSISTANT language teacher. Although it is not unheard of that a teacher could completely dump all of his/her responsibilities on you, if they are in the classroom, you must defer to them. They are the sensei, you are the grasshopper. I was asked, immediately after my enthusiastic English lesson, what if my teacher was not open to my method of teaching and didn't want the students playing any of the games I had prepared? Without missing a beat, I said that that would be completely okay. I recognize my role as an assistant language teacher and would aid the sensei in whatever ways I could. If I thought one of my lessons would be particularly helpful, I would respectfully request that we use my lesson. But if the sensei was absolutely opposed to it, I wouldn't mind. My job is to help them in the classroom, not take it over.

This ended up being a lot longer than I thought, but I think I covered the vast majority of questions I was asked. The most important things I can tell you are to be enthusiastic and keep your cool if you are asked some difficult questions. Remember to stay focused on what YOU can do for JET and what you will contribute during your time there. Don’t forget to be excited! Show the interviewers who you really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment